Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I marched in the Cadets of Bergen County in 1997, 1998 and 1999.

Friday, September 30, 2005

Audition Camps

I will never forget the first time I walked into Bergen County Vocational-Technical High School in Teterboro, New Jersey. Located right off of Route 46 and across the street from Teterboro Airport, it seemed odd to me that this obscure location was where a World Champion drum and bugle corps rehearses. But, I would soon learn that obscure practice locations are par for the course in drum corps so the Cadets of Bergen County were no exception.

The equipment trucks, corps buses and airport shuttles were very intimidating to an 18 year old college freshman. I remember being scared to death when I met Jay Bocook and George Hopkins for the very first time. These were drum corps legends and here I was, some good-for-nothing rookie trying to hang with the big boys. But that November evening, nearly nine years ago is permanently engraved in my mind. Little did I know that I was about to begin a process that would change the way I view life and the people I knew forever.

I owe a lot to drum corps...and to the people that pushed me when I was down and wanted to quit. Yes, it was hard work...much more difficult than anything I had ever done before. But, that's what made it so worthwhile. That's what makes me fondly recall those neverending audition camps, where hours are spent perfecting posture and breathing exercises.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home